02 January 2009

Viking knit chain with red coral pendant


I spent a few days this week modifying an older piece of work. Originally, this pendant was on a four-stitch double knit silver chain with a coordinating hook. It never really met my own vision of what it should look like, mostly because the chain had been pulled through too small of a hole. It looks OK, but I don't like the look of very tightly pulled chains, and the chain diameter was not the correct scale for the large pendant. I was paging through my sketchbook and found a sketch for a different type of pendant suspended on a short length of Viking knit, bracketed by two small hand-coiled links. Perfect!

I made the 5-inch segment of 5-stitch double knit and the two links to match the pendant, then made a new length of 4-stitch double knit (not pulled so tightly!) and a new hook to match my current style of coordinating hooks. I am very pleased with the outcome! I made this piece a little long (22"), so it looks great on a black turtleneck. I am planning on including this piece in my next round of jury photos (to be taken on Monday!).

Posted by Jan Raven on http://wovenwire.blogspot.com.
If you are seeing this on MakingWireJewelryBlog.com, know that this content is being lifted without permission or attribution to the real author (me!). Unethical at best and possibly a violation of my copyrights and of U.S. law (the Digital Millennium Copyright Act). If you really want to learn how to make wire jewelry, please go to JewelryLessons.com and support actual artists!

1 comment:

Beth Ann said...

This looks rich! Great job